Tina Blau (1845 Vienna - 1916 ibid.)
"An den Nordendyk. Dordrecht"/ "The mill" De Nachtegaal" in Dordrecht".
Painted in 1908 on her last trip to Holland, impressionist major work of the artist, who is one of the internationally most important Austrian painters of the 19th century and the beginning of modernism. The painting shows the gallery Dutch windmill with wood sawmill, built in 1752 and already partly demolished in 1930, which stood on a small canal at the Noordendijk / corner Oranjelaan in Dordrecht. Tina Blau, who painted mainly landscapes and still lifes, together with Emil Jakob Schindler, Carl Moll, Theodor von Hörmann, Hugo Darnaut, Marie Egner, and Olga Wisinger-Florian, shaped the style of Austrian Mood Impressionism. The artist, who came from a Jewish family, studied from 1859 with Waldmüller's pupil Antal Hanély, with August Schaeffer and from 1865 in the studio and painting school of Josef Aigner. Already at this time her landscapes plein air were created directly in front of the motif. Tina Blau exhibited a painting for the first time in 1867 at the Vienna Kunstverein; in 1868 she successfully participated in the opening exhibition of the Vienna Künstlerhaus, and in 1869 in the first International Art Exhibition at the Vienna Künstlerhaus. From 1869-1873 she completed her artistic education through private lessons with Prof. Wilhelm Lindenschmit the Younger in Munich. In 1882 Blau became suddenly famous when she exhibited her monumental painting "Spring in the Prater" at the Künstlerhaus, which had initially been rejected because it was too bright (now in the Belvedere, Vienna). For the same painting she won a "Mention honorable" at the Paris Salon of 1883, the only award also to foreign artists. Successful participations followed at the world exhibitions in Antwerp (1885), Paris (1889) and Chicago (1893), where she received a gold medal. In 1890, the first "Kollektivausstellung" (solo exhibition) with 60 works by Tina Blau took place at the Munich Kunstverein, which was subsequently continued as a traveling exhibition through major German cities and received consistently positive reviews in the art journals. In 1899, the first collective exhibition of her works took place in Vienna, organized by the Pisko Art Salon, which later also toured Austria and Germany. In 1908, the Viennese Galerie Arnot took over Tina Blau's main representation and held further large collective exhibitions in 1909 and 1914. Oil/painted; L. u. sign.; 84 cm x 73 cm. Frame.
The painting is included in the Tina Blau online Wvz. of the Belvedere under the No. GE 984.
Lit./Exhibitions: Annual exhibition, Künstlerhaus Vienna, 1909, cat. no. 282; collective exhibition "Tina Blau", Galerie Arnot, Vienna, November 1909, cat. no. 6; traveling exhibition "Tina Blau" 1910, Hamburg, Berlin, Cologne, Düsseldorf, Wiesbaden, Kiel, Frankfurt am Main (no cat.) list no. 44a; manuscript list of works, 1869-1916, cat. No. 274; Wolf, Verzeichnis, 1910-16.
According to the Belvedere, the painting titles and dating follow the information given in her own hand in the collection of photographs that the painter amassed at the end of her life.
Provenance: sold in 1909 from the Tina Blau exhibition at the Arnot Gallery to Komm. Rat Hatschek, Linz (i.e. the important industrialist and Kommerzialrat Ludwig Hatschek, 1856 - 1914); 2006 Kunsthandel Giese & Schweiger, Vienna.
Oil on canvas. Signed. Exhibited 1909-1910 in Vienna and several German towns. Mentioned in the online catalogue raisonnée by the Belvedere in Vienna, No. GE 984.